Here at Cactus Search, we can’t stress enough how important it is to have a great CV. It’s your first chance to impress not just us, but the client. And that’s why we’re writing a brief series on getting your CV up to the highest possible standards – to give you the best chance to secure that dream job.
First, however, you may need to go back to basics and ask yourself “Who am I?” A key step should be a self-assessment. You must have a realistic idea of your strengths and weaknesses, expectations, and your own unique selling points. You can’t be all things to all people and your CV needs to be tailored towards a targeted sector. You have to focus.
Even if you already have a CV, you need to continually review and revise it, so make sure you take the time to ask yourself the following:
- What are my strengths?
- In which areas did I excel in my previous position?
- In which working environment would I thrive?
- How can I minimise my weaknesses?
- What are my mid to long term professional goals?
- Which areas of past experience are no longer of any relevance?
- Can I define exactly what it is I do, professionally?
- Do I have a proven track record?
- What personal attributes can I bring to the role?
- How motivated am I towards this change?
Your CV reflects your professionalism. It needs to state quite clearly that you are the person for the job, so a great CV should contain:
- An attention grabbing summary section
- A clear, uncluttered layout
- Active and precise description
- Contact details
- Job specific information
- Articulate, concise language
- No mistakes
- No more than 2 or 3 pages
- Consider carefully what the recruiter (agency or employer) would like to see on any CV.
- The right skills and quantifiable experience
- Suitable interpersonal and communication skills
- The ability to flourish in the company’s environment
- The competence and confidence to adapt to the job.
This is the absolute backbone of a good CV – so if you’ve got these covered, you’re half way there.
In the next couple of weeks, we’ll be running CV clinic Q&A sessions on our Facebook & Twitter pages – so watch this space to find out more!
Cactus Search is the leading provider of Call and Contact Centre Management candidates to some of the most prestigious companies in the UK and Internationally.